Absolutely noiseless and 80% less energy consumption: The new Low-Energy-Server (LES) by Thomas Krenn
With increasing electricity prices, the topic of energy efficiency gets also more and more important within the IT sector. In order to take account of this development, the Thomas-Krenn.AG has developed a server that maximally consumes only 9 watts per hour, 20 percent of what a comparable server on ATOM basis needs: the so-called Low Energy Server.
Since September 2012, Thomas Krenn's „little one“ is available via the company’s online-shop, starting at a price of 499 Euros, depending on the equipment. With its dimensions of 165 x120x45 mm it is not only more than modest regarding its energy consumption, but also regarding the space requirements. Also health aspects were considered in the development process of the server: noise is unhealthy, even if it is “only” scarcely perceptible background noises. In a continuous operation of 24 hours, the LES can be described as lukewarm and is also absolutely noiseless when running on full-load. The system owes this fact to its passive cooling system, through which the resulting heat is dissipated directly via the housing. Chairman Christoph Maier is proud of his company’s newest development: „We are happy to have developed a product with the LES that enables our customers to get a full-fledged server for an attractive price that is an ideal solution for a lot of uses and products. In addition to low energy costs, compact dimensions and absolute noiselessness, a unique product with reliable quality awaits the customer.“
Technical Data of the Server:
- Capacity: currently 250 GB (SATA) up to max. 600 GB (SSD), 2,5 HDDs
- Performance: configurable in various performance categories via the shop.
- Available operating systems: in principle every 32bit Linux, preferably without graphical interface, because the graphical user interface uses too much resources. Windows XP embedded.
- Applications: Mail-Server, Firewall, Router, onboard GBit NIC.
- Optional: HDD or SSD, SD-card, 2. GBit NIC or WLAN card can be retrofitted.
- CPU & RAM: For starting, the Intel ATOM Z500 series is offered with 1GB RAM, an expansion to further CPU/RAM variations is already underway.
- Target group: for software developers and the mobile use, due to its small size. Thanks to its economical consumption, it is also most suitable as a small web server.
Find out about the Low-Energy-Server on the Thomas-Krenn-product-page.